Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Cool Tricks to Multiply Numbers 6-9

If you have been reading my blog, you probably noticed that I get way too passionate about educational tricks. (Once I was moved to tears when I found out there was a reason for the Silent E in the word "have.") 

Today is no exception.  You guys... This is LIFE CHANGING.  I was excited to show you the first trick I learned. 

But then last night, I learned an even more nifty multiplication trick that you can do ON YOUR FINGERS.  And I literally jumped up and down for joy.  I need to work on my self-control a little bit.

Today I want to show you a quick trick to help your child memorize multiplication tables.  This only works with numbers 6-9.  The nines and tens facts have their own tricks, so I would focus on multiplying 6-8 which are usually the hardest to remember anyway.)   If your child needs help learning to multiply 3s and 4s, I really love Times Tables the Fun Way.  It has little pictures and stories that help you remember the math facts. (You have to be 16 to drive a 4x4, etc.)

Ok, here we go... I learned this trick from Speed Math for Kids. It is the basis for all kinds of mental math multiplication tricks.  Using the same method, I can multiply numbers like 97 x 98 in my head.  (It's 9506, by the way.) I highly suggest you get this book.  It's fun for kids and challenging enough for adults.  I spent all summer wading through it, and I still have a lot to learn.



I will do one more:




I hope that mostly makes sense.  Are you ready for the coolest part of all? Last night, I learned from Pintrest that you can do this ON YOUR FINGERS!  Life Changing, My Friends.  I am going to put the finger method next to the circle method so that you can see we are doing the same thing.  (Spoiler alert: The finger method is easier.)



Step 1: Assign numbers to your fingers and touch the fingers you want to multiply together.





 

 

 

 

 

 

Step 2: Count the number of fingers that are touching and below.  Multiply that number by 10.






 

 

 

 

 

Step 3: Multiply the number of fingers on each hand that have not yet been counted. Add that product to the step 2 answer.



I'm curious to hear your thoughts.  Do you think this could help a child who is struggling to learn multiplication?


Need more help?

Check out these videos :)

Circle Method for Multiplying numbers 5- 9

Finger Method for Multiplying numbers 6-10

No comments:

Post a Comment