Tuesday, November 8, 2016

My Favorite Things: Episode 5: Seeds Family Worship

https://www.amazon.com/Seeds-Courage-Family-Worship/dp/B007E52RO6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1478603255&sr=8-3&keywords=seeds+family+worship

This week I'm going to talk about some of my favorite memorization aides.  We will start with Scripture Memory because I believe it is the most important.  In some other posts, I will show how I use memory throughout the subject areas.

Let me introduce you to my favorite company for scripture memory.  The problem with many scripture memory songs written for children is that the music is not catchy and the singers sound like chipmunks.  Seeds Family Worship is different. Their songs are pure scripture, set to catchy music.  It is music that I do not mind listening to.  They have several albums on different topics in the Bible: Seeds of Courage; Seeds of Faith; Seeds of Praise, and many more.  Many of the songs stream on Amazon Prime!

Seeds Family worship makes it very easy to learn scripture.  We listen to these CDs in the car, and in the early morning while my children play and get ready for the day. 



Why Memorize:
 Memory is the first step really understanding anything.  I know that sometimes rote memorization seems like a pointless exercise, especially if the content is too complicated for a young child to understand.  But when you choose the content wisely, the children will grow into them. 

Do you remember this song?

"Oh be careful little eyes what you see; oh be careful little eyes what you see; for the Father up above is looking down in love; Oh be careful little eyes what you see."

I learned this song at the age of 2 or 3.  Two and three year olds generally don't have to worry too much about what they are looking at, but I clearly remember that song coming to mind when I was in high school and needed a gentle reminder.   I had not thought of the song for years, but it was in my long term memory when  I needed it. 

Recently, I started journaling my prayers.  Many times, when a scripture comes into my mind, it is in the form of a song that I learned as a little girl.  My hope is to fill my children's hearts with scripture. 

"And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."
                                                                                                                                                           - Deuteronomy 6:6-7




No comments:

Post a Comment