Tuesday, November 1, 2016

A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS: Episode 3: Super Genius Addition

Continuing with the Math theme, my next contender is a card game.  Blue Orange Games makes all sorts of games including Spot It (which is one of our family's favorites) and the Super Genius Games.

We own the Super Genius: Addition card game.  Blue Orange Games also makes Super Genius: Multiplication I and II, Reading I and II, Alphabet, and Compound words. 

The deck has two sets of cards.  In the Addition version, the cards with the blue outline have five addition equations, and the cards with the red outline have five different sums. 

To play the game, you turn over one of each set and try to find the match.  Each card has one equation or sum that corresponds to every other card. 

There are other ways to play.  For example you could only use the blue set of cards and try to find corresponding equations.  (One card may say 1 + 9 and another might say 5 + 5, and since both equal 10, they are a match.)  Umm... that's algebra, by the way. 

I find this game to be much more fun than flash cards!  I do think there are a few things they could do to improve the game.  I find 10 + n to be fairly simple for most children to solve.  Most of the cards have a 10 + n equation.  I wish they would use more 9 + n and 8 + n equations, which are more challenging for most students.

If you are a local friend, I encourage you to check out the selection of Blue Orange Games at our local toy store- Toodleyloo Toys.  I bought the Super Genius: Addition game at their store.  If you are not local, check out the Blue Orange Games Website.

An early morning Super Genius: Addition game
Did you miss my other Favorite Things Posts?  Check out Number-Bots and the AL Abacus.

No comments:

Post a Comment